Brain, Emotion, and Sleep in Teens (BEST)
Purpose: The BEST study is examining how both healthy and unhealthy sleep patterns may affect brain systems related to risk for psychiatric conditions.
Who can participate:
- high school students between 14 and 18 years who have
- no emotional or behavioral diagnoses and have
- parents without any emotional or behavioral diagnoses
- not been diagnosed with bipolar disorder and have
- a parent who has been diagnosed with bipolar disorder
What does the study involve:
- 2 assessments spaced 2 weeks apart
- questionnaires and interviews about sleep, mood, and emotions
- fMRI scan and computer tasks (2nd assessment only)
- 2 weeks of sleep monitoring between assessments
- keeping daily sleep records and wearing an activity watch
If you are interested in hearing more about this study and would like to see if you are eligible please callAdriane Soehner (412) 383-3110 or Email.